It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Zenwalk 7.4 BETA IS READY
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:31 am 
Zenwalker
Zenwalker

i mean proper ISO like version 7.0, fully working openbox version?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:39 am 
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Thank you for the Zenwalk 7.4 beta, I am having great fun playing with it. Admittedly I loaded it on a spare Quad 4 with 4 Gb of RAM, so the system is running reasonably quickly. When LibreOffice opens in about 2 seconds from cold you can't really complain. The default look and feel is neat and crisp, and I appreciate having the latest versions of the main programs I use, such as Thunderbird, Firefox and the LibreOffice suite available in the repository to test.

A job well done guys, so many thanks and congratulations.

A few of the applications I use, in the extra repository, seem to be relying on older versions of libraries, but seem to work well enough with a bit of hackery with older copies of the libraries from previous versions of Zenwalk. However, this is a standard procedure, since not all applications upgrade at the same time, so you have to vanish under the bonnet every so often.

Dia was failing with a segmentation fault, which is apparently "normal" for it to do in the latest Slackware versions. A fix for this is given in

http://www.sgvulcan.com/dia-crashes-with-latest-updates-in-slacware-current/

I resolved my problem by copying the persistence file from a Zenwalk 7.0 system, copying it into .dia and then altering the relevant line in the file. The Dia application now seems to run as it usually does. I'm not sure how you would build a fix for the program apart from including a copy of the persistence file in the dia-0.97.2-i486-1fb.txz. The problem also occurred when I built the dia-0.97.1 from source, although that version was running properly under the Zenwalk 7.0

The only headache I really seem to have at the moment is with xnetpkg of all things. All the CLI applications for netpkg seem to be working as expected and I can set and reset the mirrors required in /etc/netpkg.conf as one would expect. However for some reason, xnetpkg doesn't seem to be reading the mirror list in /etc/netpkg.conf and is always starting with http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... rent/extra even though the relevant lines in the conf file are

Quote:

And the CLI reads

Quote:

I can change the mirror being referenced to the meticul mirror in the drop down menu, but when I go to refresh the mirror it will always connects to the ibilio mirror. I'm sure I am missing something blindingly obvious, but it is rather a nuisance. As much as I enjoy working with the CLI there are times when the GUI version is simply easier to sort through.

That hiccup to one side, everything else seems to be going well and I am enjoying exploring the new version. Once again thanks so much for all the hard work, it is appreciated \!D/ \!D/ \!D/

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:26 am 
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

mprimrose wrote:
I can change the mirror being referenced to the meticul mirror in the drop down menu, but when I go to refresh the mirror it will always connects to the ibilio mirror.

I assume you checked/unchecked the mirrors you want/don't want from the dropdownlist with the + and - buttons? The ones you want to load should have a checkmark.

Blackbird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:46 am 
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Hi Blackbird,

I had of course forgotten to check and uncheck the mirrors in the drop down table with the + and - buttons. I knew it was going to be something embarrassingly simple in the application that I had forgotten to do . The xnetpkg application is now working the way that it should and any errors can be attributed to operator forgetfulness and stupidity. My only excuse is that its been a while since I've upgraded my Zenwalk boxes (not having gone to Zenwalk 7.2 on my main system) and one does get rusty :-[

Thanks for the heads up. I will now go and look at the other missing libraries etc.

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:54 am 
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Glad that's fixed now, the simple things often get overlooked, I know... :)

Good luck with the rest, some things from extra need some updating to get them to work again, but otherwise everything is going smoothly!

Blackbird

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:12 pm 
Master of the known universe
Master of the known universe

So guys where do we stand on this BETA phase? Is it ready to be released?? Can i upgrade or shall i wait. I cant have a broken system here.

Btw currently i have 3.6.11 kernel. Should i really update it to 3.10.x? i saw the feature list but unable to decide if should i go or not necessary.

Software is like sex: it's better when it's free.
Linus Torvalds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:18 am 
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

I have been testing out the new versions of the music applications I have running on my main Zenwalk computer on the Zenwalk 7.4 BETA Quadcore. These have all been compiled from source but seem to be working fine

QjackCtl: 0.3.11 Qt: 4.8.5
Qsynth: 0.3.8 Qt: 4.8.5
Qtractor: 0.5.12 Qt: 4.8.5
http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/
VMPK 0.5.1
http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/

I have also been testing out the music notation program NtEd, which unfortunately I had problems comping from source. However Johannes Schöpfer has compiled a Slackware package of the latest version which seems to be doing everything it is supposed to do.
http://schoepfer.info/slackware.xhtml#packages-music

The only issues I had trying to get the virtual synthesiser system up and running were 1) the Timeout (msecs) in QjackCtl had to be increased to 2000 msec because the Qsynth application was taking longer to establish connection than the default value, so it kept falling over 2) trying to run pulseaudio for Skype and alsa for the virtual synthesiser with only one soundcard can only be resolved with string and sealing wax solutions as far as I can see. Both problems caused a few hours of low level muttering at the computer, but are probably more to do with my computer setup that with anything to do with Zenwalk.

Application configuration tweaks to one side, the Zenwalk 7.4 BETA is working really well as an operating system for my virtual synthesiser system and is providing endless hours of noisy, but harmless fun. Fortunately, I have headphones for late night 16 track renditions of midi Baroque organ concertos using the jeux14R sound font (200+ stops and combinations) \D/ \!D/ \D/

The other part of the testing has been looking at the Gimp Paint Studio with gimp 2.8.10. The GPS 2.0 is worth looking at if you interested in some serious artwork within gimp. No problems so far, apart from too much time spent having fun :-[

https://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-paint-studio/

I'm certainly satisfied with what Zenwalk 7.4 BETA is providing so far, so again congratulations on all the work to bring this to fruition

Regards

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Zenwalk addict wrote:
So guys where do we stand on this BETA phase? Is it ready to be released?? Can i upgrade or shall i wait. I cant have a broken system here.

Btw currently i have 3.6.11 kernel. Should i really update it to 3.10.x? i saw the feature list but unable to decide if should i go or not necessary.

1/: probably JP, publish a RC1, this weekend, (i have make add more few small enhancement for this new version).

2/: i use kernel-3.12.8, now, it work fine here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 am 
Senior Zenwalker
Senior Zenwalker

Just a comment, also add an announcement on main zenwalk page, it seems desolee