It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:40 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Zenwalk 7.9.3 is ready
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:19 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

An improved and up to date version of Zenwalk 64 : Zenwalk 7.9.3 is ready.

http://download.zenwalk.org/x86_64/7.9.3/

This unofficial release is stable (at least as stable as any official release, and it is maintained via the current repository).

It could be released as a beta or even "RC 8.0", but I prefer to wait for Slackware 14.2.

Note : if your PC is younger than 10 years old : it can probably run a 64 bit OS ;)

Please report bugs :)

Have fun
JP

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Zenwalk 7.9.3 is ready
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:41 pm 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Good day, JP.

I ran Zenwalk 5.x/6.x at around 2009/2010, after running Slackware and before switching to Arch. Receiving a unexpected message in the mail this morning about this release of 7.9.3 reminded me of such -- and having currently switched AWAY from Arch again, it got me interested.

I am currently running Linux Mint 17.1 which isn't all that wonderful for someone with a slack/arch background. If I see one more configuration file in /etc that tells me that I should not "EDIT THIS BY HAND!" I'm going to violently destroy a physical copy of whichever debian, ubuntu or mint version I can put on CD or DVD fastest. Due to time constraints I need something with a fairly large Just-Works factor at the moment (which, via the systemd debacle, meant that Arch was currently out) and Zenwalk could be just the thing, were it not for the fact that it seemingly no longer supports x86-32. I have a few Pentium 4@3GHz systems to support and given those same time contraints do not want to put (very) different systems on different machines.

That is; I thought I'd mention that having no 32-bit version available anymore is still regretted by some. I can see the rationale and all, and yes, 64-but UNcapable CPUs are relatively rare at the moment -- but, in fact, given that clock-speeds have stalled since these P4@3Ghz were current, they do still work fine as basic workstations; upgrading that part of the infrastructure here can and will have to wait. That then means that Zenwalk is also out though.

I doubt that it matters, since it has probably been a thought-out decision, but if there were again a 32-bit version available, I'd switch today and would very likely stay here for the forseeable futuire again. You could call it the "systemd-fallout edition" ....

Kind regards,
Rene

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

thanks for the post !

A few days ago, I was asked similarly about a 32 bits version. After I told him that most PCs are 64 bits ready since 2003, the one who asked about 32 bits discovered that his 2008 PC is a 64 bits machine... but I guess you are not concerned...

Talking about building a 32 bits Zenwalk version : in 2015 I have managed to script most of the process of building a Zenwalk ISO. 95% of the base packages are Slackware packages (so now Zenwalk is really 100% compatible with Slack, indeed : it's the most "Slackish" OS available today). So it could be very easy for someone who wants to maintain a 32 bits Zenwalk to do it (~ 50 packages to compile specially for Zenwalk). I would provide the scripts.

Zenwalk is just :
- A "ready out of the box" and optimized Slackware system
- with 1 applications for a given task (~ 900MB ISO)
- with added modern package management
- with user friendly system tools
- with a nice XFCE desktop and only GTK apps : Firefox, Libreoffice, etc....
- thousands of extra packages (everything that is compiled for Slackware 14.1 can run on Zenwalk 8.0)

Swithing from Mint to a finished Zenwalk desktop will take you 30 minutes :)

Cheers
JP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:20 pm 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Thank you for the reply.

Well, actually, that might be interesting. I've been doing different things for many years now but once wound up in Zenwalk due to by that time having so many own/custom packages installed on top of base slackware that it started to make little sense to still RUN slackware itself, and not the kind of derivative that you already provided. Recompiling/tweaking around 50 packages should not be too bad. Do you have the PKGBUILDs available in a publicly accesible GIT tree or alike, so as to sync up with you every once in a while?

Anyways... I guess I should first test Zenwalk on a 64-bit system. The "30 minutes" is a bit optimistic (for a non VM install): I've stopped keeping spare partitions around some time ago. But for testing, a VM install will do I suppose. If I decide that I would like to go ahead with a 32-bit build after trying it out, should I contact you here on the forum?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:38 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

yes, or via PM

I will give my email @

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:14 pm 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

I haven't used Zenwalk in a while so I was glad to give this an install. But it didn't ask me to setup a user account during install. Did I forget something? I can't login to Zenwalk with out a user account. ???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:52 pm 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

It will certainly have created a root account. During setup, you either set a password for said account or you did not. In the latter case, logging in as "root" and simply hitting enter on the empty password field works fine. You will then be able to add a normal user "through the configuration tools". If you insist on not (graphically) logging in as root even once, try Ctrl-Alt-F1 at the login screen to switch to a text VT, login as root on that and try "adduser username" to add a normal user, "logout" (or Ctrl-D) to log out of the text VT again, Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch to the login screen again.

The word "try" in the above since I can't actually verify that for example X is still on VT7 on Slackware/Zenwalk. When I tried things earlier tonight on VirtualBox on a Linux Mint 17.1 host, networking completely failed. It seems to do something but immediately disconnects again. I spent some time debugging that without success -- other stuff works/worked fine in VirtualBox -- and after spending almost an hour doing absolutely nothing productive again, I remembered why I was using Mint in the first place, even though I quite dislike its debian base. It is one of the very few distributions where things DO actually tend to work. I'll stick with it for a bit, and already deleted zenwalk again....

Did look nice though.

Last edited by rene on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
I haven't used Zenwalk in a while so I was glad to give this an install. But it didn't ask me to setup a user account during install. Did I forget something? I can't login to Zenwalk with out a user account.

the setup only creates the root account.

At first boot : login as root, and then open the administration panel -> launch the graphical user manager (or from menu : "User Profiles" / in cli : "userconfig") to create as many unprivileged users as you need :)

then logout from your root session, and login with one of your unprivileged users :p

JP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:55 pm 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

rene wrote:
When I tried things earlier tonight on VirtualBox on a Linux Mint 17.1 host, networking completely failed. It seems to do something but immediately disconnects again.

Same here, but using a Windows host. Network did not work with host set either bridged or NAT. But, I was able to login as root and create a normal user account. I was like "what's the username for root? Is it root? Oh, yes, root!" Duh. Re-teaching myself how to manually map partitions was also fun. I'm so used to being spoiled by today's distro installers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:26 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Normally there should be no problem with networking on a real host (any wired or wireless card is supported out of the box).

I hope you'll appreciate how fast Zenwalk is compared to any Debian derivative :)

JP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:55 am 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

I downloaded and use yesterday, I didn't find any problem and it looks even most responsive
then the old one, When I start to add my apps and libs it come out the problem with gnome-mplayer. When I insert a usb mplayer start automatically and start loading I suppose the contain of the usb and there is no way to close it. It was working fine till that moment.
I think must be some problem with some of the libs that I add. I remove and change to vlc.
The biggest problem of this system is to add applications, the only pkgs that shows in Netpkg the needed deps are the ones made by gm, are clearly marked in red other way is
to run the applications in a terminal and try to find this way the needed deps.
In some way is a very smart and responsive system, it lacks this part.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, thanks for the tests.

I will find a way to add deps to Slack packages...

Extra packages from the repository http://alien1.zenwalk.org/people/alien/ ... .1/x86_64/ have dependency information when required

JP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:55 pm 
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Using Unetbootin I get the same problem as with version 9.1, the Zenwalk packages (z folder) don't show up in setup. The whole setup is a Slackware one, not Zenwalk. I discovered there are two initrd.img on the ISO, one in isolinux and one in EFI/BOOT, Unetbootin seems to use the latter and this is a Slackware setup, no mentioning of Zenwalk in the setup. After removing this initrd.img from EFI/Boot and putting the ISO back together it installs fine using Unetbootin.
I know not every one approves of using Unetbootin, but I bet I am not the only one using it and it could put people off if Zenwalk doesn't properly install using it.

Otherwise, so far so good.

Blackbird

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:27 pm 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

yes the same problem here, the only difference is that I didn't care about what the
installer say at the point when is asking if you want to install lilo anyway I choose
to install lilo.

I did not check very well but I think there is not grub and mc in the iso.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:55 pm 
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Problem is if you don't know there should be a z folder, you don't install those packages and things don't work as they should. And also, after install, without those packages, you only get a text-based login, not handy for beginners. So that would make people think Zenwalk is not what they expected.
But it is easy to fix, and it was a nice learning experience, never unpacked a initrd.img before to see what's inside.

Blackbird

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next