It is currently Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zenwalk 8.0 BETA is coming....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi,
Zenwalk 8.0 release is very close : BETA ISO available below !

Latest XFCE, LTS Kernel, Chromium, Libreoffice, Bluetooth support, etc.......

Lately I have worked to automates most of the packaging tasks and to come back to the original philosophy : Minislack (a real Slackware system optimized in size, and ready to use out of the box).

Everything is up to date and working in current, and : as soon as Pat will give birth again, we will release a brand new ISO.

In 2016 : I believe that the web browser is becoming the most important application, and that desktops have to be able to be synced with smartphones.

Zenwalk 8.0 is a 64 bits distribution, as I think that 32 bits support is not needed anymore : even very old 10 years old CPUs such like early AMD Athlon can run 64 bits code !

The main recent change at user level is Chromium becoming the default web browser, serving as well as image gallery viewer and very fast pdf viewer (as soon as Firefox provides some descent video/flash support and modern multi-process support ... let's see what we do...). The current release is 100% backward compatible with Slackware and is also using a few packages from trusted and serious Slackware contributors like Alien Bob.

Netpkg can simultaneously query as many repositories as needed, providing the distribution with thousand packages coming from Slackware, Zenwalk (me and Ejis), from Alien Bob, Slackonly, .... : a so called "Debian-like choice of packages" !! (Ejis also provides a complete set of Music/Recording tools, Ardour, etc... along with a real time kernel, making Zenwalk a recording Studio out of the box).

A 1Gb ISO 64 bits distribution : Zenwalk boots in a few seconds, provides 1 application per task, and considering that it features best of breed modern applications and desktop environment : it's very, very fast !!!! (it flies on 10 years old 2GB AMD Athlon 64 , and of course it's even more spectacular on my AMD Phenom Black Edition hexacore 3.2GHz - 8GB RAM - 2TB SSD :p).

Have fun !!
JP

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Zenwalk 8.0 BETA is coming....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Download mirrors :

http://download.zenwalk.org/x86_64/8.0/ ... .0beta.iso
http://zen-repo.meticul.eu/x86_64/8.0/z ... .0beta.iso

To install from USB, just : dd if=zenwalk-8.0beta.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:11 pm 
Zenwalker
Zenwalker

Downloaded and installed - well done.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:21 pm 
Community Packager
Community Packager

Hi,

This is a very solid one!
For those who will install it, though, don’t forget to deactivate PulseAudio from the startup services. It is activated by default and will conflict with the daemon launched by XFCE. This will be addressed in further versions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

There are some reviews of Zenwalk 8.0 beta already published, it's funny...

Reviewers seems to be expecting some kind of noobish Linux system, something with 3D pink poneys dancing during package install, with Lord of Rings like magic partitioning : it's likely they are a little bit disappointed...

Again : Zenwalk IS a Slackware system with very few modifications at system level ! It's not very much easier to install than Slackware : just a bit easier to setup at desktop level.

You could take an original Slackware Current, then install the set of Zenwalk packages ("z" serie) on it, then reboot : you would get "exactly" Zenwalk (without the 1 app/task cleanup).

Zenwalk is a small 1GB version of Slackware with many post-install configurations and tunings already done out of the box, with a ready to use polished desktop environment, some graphical system tools, and one application per task (in fact : back in 2004, for those who were too young to play with computers at that time : Zenwalk invented the concept of 1 app/task, being the first distribution to do it this way).

But it's still a Slackware system : for experienced Linux users, geeks, developers, power-users, everyone expecting a Unix system they can still understand... so don't expect poneys :p

JP

Note : when a lot of things happen behind a graphical installer : it's usually those things that you will never understand : the kind of things that you won't be able to fix if the system crash : the kind of things that make some Windows users to reinstall their system every month because they don't understand why poneys suddenly stopped dancing...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:03 am 
Community Packager
Community Packager

When I switched to Zenwalk a few years ago, I felt that Ubuntu (I started GNU/Linux with it) didn’t let me as much freedom as I wanted, but that’s because I’m the kind of guy who likes to mess up with a system, without too much tweaking. I wasn’t ready for Gentoo either, but when someone introduced me to Zenwalk, I felt this was the kind of OS I needed, even though there wasn’t much sound editing software back in the day. JP once said that Slackware is for nerds who understand or want to understand how a GNU/Linux OS works. So if Zenwalk is meant to be a slightly modified version of it, why expect what other so called user friendly OSes already do? The world of GNU/Linux is diverse and lets people a lot of choice based on what they expect from their computer. Zenwalk was, and still is the answer to my expectations.