It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A few questions on Zenwalk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:18 pm 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Hi All,

I am currently using slackware 12 on my laptop, but would like to install Linux on my sons PC. I was wondering whether to give ZenWalk a shot, as I know it is based on Slackware but is more 'lightweight'?!?

Presumable things like ndiswrapper is supported in ZW, what about the automounting of USB and CD's like in slackware 12?

Do you have commands like pkgtool that are used in slackware or are they completely replaced by ZW own package management?

How does installing extra software work? Do I download a package like with slackware and install it (I know you can install some slackware packages) or do I use repositories like with ubuntu? Do the repositories contain a lot of software, or am I likely to be hunting software down/compiling from source?

I presume KDE doesn't come on the install disc, but can be installed later if required?

I understand that ZW has only one package for one task, does that mean only one email client, only one shell (bash?), one browser, one file manager? What if I don't like the defaults, I realise I can install my own choice but can I uninstall the one I wouldn't use?

Sorry for all the questions

Stuart

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A few questions on Zenwalk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:24 pm 

Hi and welcome :)
Packet wrote:
Presumable things like ndiswrapper is supported in ZW, what about the automounting of USB and CD's like in slackware 12?

Of course! There is even an ndisgtk tool that will automate the ndiswrapper installation for you.

Quote:
Do you have commands like pkgtool that are used in slackware or are they completely replaced by ZW own package management?

The full set of slack package handling commands are present in zenwalk, and there's also netpkg that handles interaction with the repositories.

Quote:
How does installing extra software work? Do I download a package like with slackware and install it (I know you can install some slackware packages) or do I use repositories like with ubuntu?

As hinted by the previous answer, we do have repositories, but you can use the slackware way if you like it better. ;)

Quote:
Do the repositories contain a lot of software, or am I likely to be hunting software down/compiling from source?

Last count was >1700 packages with ~7GB worth of data in the repos. :)
viewtopic.php?p=81542#p81542

Quote:
I presume KDE doesn't come on the install disc, but can be installed later if required?

Code:
netpkg kdebase

Quote:
I understand that ZW has only one package for one task, does that mean only one email client, only one shell (bash?), one browser, one file manager? What if I don't like the defaults, I realise I can install my own choice but can I uninstall the one I wouldn't use?

Of course! The one-app per task is about the default installation. You're free to add/remove whatever you feel like.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:42 pm 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Thanks for your patience,

I'm trying to get my head around hte repositories.

There is the offical one on the zenwalk.org site, which has packages in iso which is base install packages and extra which is offical extra packages. correct?

There is also the user repositories (a link from zenwalk.org) which has more packages than the official extra repository. correct?

will the package manager connect to both at the same time or only one at a time?

are there more repositories around hte net or just hte two that are referenced from the zenwalk site?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 pm 

No, there is basically one single repository including all of the above. So you won't have to look into alternate repositories for anything. Just pick a mirror that is fast for you and stay with that. The different mirrors are just that - mirrors. They all have the same software inside.

Well, there's only once exception, the [restricted] repository which includes packages with patent problems that can't be distributed legally in the US, so if you want lame for mp3 encoding and a couple of more things you should get them from there. ;)

And all the repositories have a current and a snapshot part. Current=stable, snapshot=development (might be unstable), so as a beginner you stay with current ones. Later on you can start using snapshot repos, if you're looking for bleeding edge (but bleeding edge might actually make you bleed sometimes ;))

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:00 pm 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

so the two links on http://www.zenwalk.org, one for 'package database' and one for 'user repository', basically both contain the same software?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:06 pm 

Basically yes. The Packages link has only official packages on the repos and the User Repository has them and only a handfull more for now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:22 pm 
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

OK, thanks for your help