It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: udf dvd, no access by user
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:30 pm 
Zenwalker
Zenwalker

This is my first post to the forum, so i'd like to congratulate the developer team and community for a wonderful distro. I am zenwalk user for 3 years now and i am pleased to see an overall quality improvement, especially after rc and beta releases.
To the problem i am posting. Zenwalk 5.0 fresh install, just added kde 3.5.7, xine, mencoder and openoffice from repos.
When I insert a dvd burned with udf file system (large >2gb avis) thunar fails to access it, also konqueror, or terminal.
Dvd is mounted for sure. Root started thunar, or root terminal commands see it and can play the avis.
There is no problem with dvds, a zw 4.6.1 installation automounts them under /mnt through the old udev system.
It must be a default permission problem for udf.
I tried to mount dvds through fstab with /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd auto noauto,users,ro,utd8 but I failed again  >:(. Disk is mounted and accessed by root only. I checked fdi storage policies for hal but I am no expert.
I googled much and found nothing similar for zenwalk 5.0. I encode large avis and udf support is really needed.
I welcome any help and thank in advance.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: udf dvd, no access by user
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:03 pm 
Zenwalker
Zenwalker

I have some news for my earlier problem.
The problematic dvd was burned with k3b 1.0.4 in zw 5.0, forced udf and it contained 2 files, 2.1+2.2=4.3 gb. So as to verify the problem I tried at about 10 other udf dvds containing files above 2gb, burned in zw 4.6.1 with k3b 1.0.1, forced udf and they all automounted flawlessly, mtab saying they were mounted with udf.
I was lucky to have the 2 files in question on disk. I burned them again in zw 5.0 using brasero. The dvd was now automounted nicely, mtab indicating iso9660 was used.
I suspected a k3b 1.0.4 situation and uninstalled it, rolling back to 1.0.1 in zw 5.0. I burned a dvd again forcing udf structure with k3b and my old friend "access denied" message returned. Maybe it's how k3b deals with udf or more likely the cdr tools under the hood.
Excuse me for the long posts. Waiting to share ideas.

Profile Send private message