It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Zenwalk 8.0 is on the road !
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:31 pm 
Master of the known universe

Thank you Jp for password resetting.

Today installed a fresh copy for ZW8. Very nice installation process. Btw nice to a have a parition tool provided during the installation. I already had a 40 GB paritition previously used for / in ZW 7.9. Now thought of splitting it. Could not.
Any ways not a problem.

Below my observations:

1. The fresh copy has a /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/vmlinuz-huge both pointing to one file. Wonder why. Of course when you have a 32 bit kernel installed by default, but not the case, i guess?

2. The OOTB alt+f4 key combination does works only on few windows i.e browser only. Cant seem make it work on other apps at all.

3. OOTB installation did not allow me to install nvidia driver. Had to upgrade kerenel packages and others from slacky repo in order to make it work.

4. Can the network app work like in mobile devices, where in auto detects the available Wifi networks than manually setting it up by user?

5. Mousepad instead of geany? Geany IMO seems very bulky for the simple text editing operation.The project is still being actively developed. Unfortunately its not present in the repos. I wish it was there OOTB.

Shall play around more.
Thanks for the wonderful work done. Kudos! \!D/

Software is like sex: it's better when it's free.
Linus Torvalds

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
1. The fresh copy has a /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/vmlinuz-huge both pointing to one file. Wonder why. Of course when you have a 32 bit kernel installed by default, but not the case, i guess?

normal : it's the way liloconfig works (slackware vanilla)

Quote:
2. The OOTB alt+f4 key combination does works only on few windows i.e browser only. Cant seem make it work on other apps at all.

Not a Zenwalk point : handling of this keyboard shortcut is not done by the system : each application handle it, or not, it depends on the developers.

Quote:
3. OOTB installation did not allow me to install nvidia driver. Had to upgrade kerenel packages and others from slacky repo in order to make it work.

normal : you have to install the optional kernelsource package from slack1 repos, then you can compile nvidia driver.
The Xorg driver provides good 3D acceleration now, I'm not sure the Nvidia proprietary driver is needed anymore.

Using slacky kernel package will break Slackware support : you won't be able to submit hardware related problems to the Slackware community if you don't use the kernel provided by Pat : I discourage it.

Quote:
4. Can the network app work like in mobile devices, where in auto detects the available Wifi networks than manually setting it up by user?

yes : it's working this way OOTB.

Quote:
5. Mousepad instead of geany? Geany IMO seems very bulky for the simple text editing operation.The project is still being actively developed. Unfortunately its not present in the repos. I wish it was there OOTB.

does Mousepad have printing support ?

I will add mousepad in extra :)

Cheers
JP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:03 pm 

Jp,
Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
normal : it's the way liloconfig works (slackware vanilla)

I do not use Lilo here, can i remove the package? Reduces some space. Btw, along with lilo, which other package can i remove so that its not lying unused or unwanted.

Quote:
Not a Zenwalk point : handling of this keyboard shortcut is not done by the system : each application handle it, or not, it depends on the developers.

So which script or command should i add as a keyboard shortcut to make it work across all? Sorry forgot. But i request for an OOTB feature on this for future releases, please!

Quote:
The Xorg driver provides good 3D acceleration now, I'm not sure the Nvidia proprietary driver is needed anymore.

In my usage, nvidia app is required to monitor the GPU temperature, configuring coolbits and adaptive performance along with individually altering the RGB levels for my monitor. Apart from this, i do not care or worry about 3D acceleration, i guess its useful for games.

Quote:
yes : it's working this way OOTB.

No sir, on my laptop here, i have a LAN as well as Wifi. Both were ON mode post installing ZW. But by default it added wired connection in the app. I deleted the configuration from that App and restarted to see if a wireless shall be detected by this app just like on mobile devices. It did not. So i had to add the configuration manually.

Quote:
does Mousepad have printing support ?

hehe, i do not use printer... Ok thanks for adding the package. Now i can remove geany n go for mousepad ;)

Have one more query, i have added
Code:
exec nvidia-settings -l

line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, unfortunately its not getting executed whenever i log into the machine. This was working in ZW 7.9 for all users accounts but not now. Can manually run and it works. Any idea?

Also, there is a error with 7Zip menu item launcher with error:
Code:
bash-4.3$ 7zFM %F
/usr/lib64/p7zip/7zFM: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Guess, it can be removed from the menu, and package too. Saves some space.
Thanks

Software is like sex: it's better when it's free.
Linus Torvalds

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:19 pm 
Zenwalker
Zenwalker

Hey guys, I have some weird hardware problems with the 8.0 release.

When installing from the ISO, the process "froze" at the point of selecting keyboard layout. It was asking me to hit return, but the system was not responding to my keyboard. More than that, the keyboard itself was kind of frozen. No reaction to num/caps/scroll keys. At that point, I though that maybe ISO kernel had some USB drivers missing, so I unplugged my keyboard and plugged it back in to PS2 port with USB-to-PS2 adapter. The system "unfroze" and I continued the installation.

But unfortunately, same problem occured when I booted up the PC after installation. The system was loading ok, but froze again when I was presented with username/password prompt (already in GUI mode). I applied the same trick with re-plugging the keyboard, and again, it fixed the freezing. But still, I was not able to plug any other USB devices after that. Flash drives, my USB WiFi dongle, even USB mouse - nothing seems to work...

I was using Zenwalk 7.4 (i386) before and it didn't have such problems. The hardware is the same for both systems.

I am not really a Linux expert, so I apologize if I sound like a total noob here. I can find my way around most Linux systems, but I haven't encountered such strange behavior before and I am kind of lost here.

If you need any details on my hardware (keyboard/motherboard/CPU/etc), please ask away.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:22 pm 
Promo Team
Promo Team

Congratulation on the nice review in Distrowatch weekly a couple of weeks ago.

I see JP commented on a couple of questions / bumps on the road for the reviewer.

/Claus