Re: Zenwalk Xorg-7-3 is out ;)

Official news from the Zenwalk crew
godane
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Post by godane » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:30 pm

My desktop is brighter then normal. Its like its being more white out. I have a ati x200 IGP.

I will see if calling noxconf fixes it.

john
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Post by john » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:35 am

I tried this an had a problem.  I read this entire thread and then the reference link.  Made notes of what to do and thought the suggestion about removing the stuff first was a good one.  I closed all running windows and opened a terminal.  su'ed and init3.  I have netpkg set to the first choice ibiblio.  I did remove pkg libXp freeglut xorg-fonts-scalable twm.  Then I did netpkg fontconfig libdrm mesa xaw3d.  Then I did netpkg xorg and got that it was already installed.  When I tried netpkg xorg-7.3-i486-50.1.tgz it said there was no such pkg.  I currently have xorg-7.2-noarch-44.1.tgz installed according to the gui netpkg.

Did I miss a notice or something?

john

stillborn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by stillborn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:45 am

axxium wrote:Hi,
..... I am still looking into Stillborns' nvidia driver issues.....
:)

Michael

Yes, I found driver that works now.  http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... 43.01.html
Last edited by stillborn on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

axxium
Administrator
Administrator

Post by axxium » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:25 pm

john wrote:I tried this an had a problem.  I read this entire thread and then the reference link.  Made notes of what to do and thought the suggestion about removing the stuff first was a good one.  I closed all running windows and opened a terminal.  su'ed and init3.  I have netpkg set to the first choice ibiblio.  I did remove pkg libXp freeglut xorg-fonts-scalable twm.  Then I did netpkg fontconfig libdrm mesa xaw3d.  Then I did netpkg xorg and got that it was already installed.  When I tried netpkg xorg-7.3-i486-50.1.tgz it said there was no such pkg.  I currently have xorg-7.2-noarch-44.1.tgz installed according to the gui netpkg.

Did I miss a notice or something?

john

The xorg package was updated from xorg-7.3-i486-50.1.tgz to xorg-7.3-i486-50.2.tgz yesterday to improve the upgrade process. That's why netpkg said there was no xorg-7.3-i486-50.1.tgz package. A simple "netpkg xorg" should eliminate you having to manually remove packages now. The xorg package will handle removing the unneeded packages for you.

Michael
Last edited by axxium on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stumbled across Zenwalk one day, life has never been the same. :-)

axxium
Administrator
Administrator

Post by axxium » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:28 pm

stillborn wrote:Yes, I found driver that works now.  http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... 43.01.html

So there are no more bugs as far as I can tell.

fushark
Master of the known universe

Post by fushark » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:37 pm

axxium wrote:So there are no more bugs as far as I can tell.

Not from others, but there is one I encountered:
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php?topic=12725.0
If you make the time for it, you can do it.
My Asus M3N spec

axxium
Administrator
Administrator

Post by axxium » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:36 pm

New drivers package coming soon. There been some updates to Intel and Ati radeon.

Michael

john
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Post by john » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:57 pm

axxium,

Thanks for your help but it is still a no good.  I have tried on the first two mirrors listed and get the same results.  I am doing all of this from init 3.  If I enter netpkg xorg I don't get the xorg pkg but font pkg trying to install/reinstall/skip.  they are xorg-fonts-100dpi-7.2-noarch-44.1.tgz and then it gives the same for the 75dpi, etc.  There is no new xorg shown.  This was why I tried to enter netpkg xorg-7.3-i486-50.1.tgz.  And now if I try netpkg xorg-7.3-i486-50.2.tgz I receive that there is no such package.  Netpkg xorg only brings up the fonts pkg and nothing else.  When I go back to the gui and try netpkg all I can find is 7.2.

Is there someplace else that I am not looking?  I have tried http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 86/current and http://zen-repo.meticul.eu/i486/current.

Thanks for your help.

john

prfaasse
Zenwalk Packager
Zenwalk Packager

Post by prfaasse » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:20 pm

A bit late to start reporting bugs, i know. But: when building 'kaffeine-0.8.5', i get an error that seems related to the mesa package:

libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[5]: *** [libkaffeinepart.la] Error 1

I have this: mesa-7.0.2-i486-50.3 mesa package installed.

[edit] just to be sure that i did not have any outdated mesa package around, i 'upgraded' to the snapshot 50.1 build of mesa: still the same problem. One 'curious thing: i have a libGL.la~ file in my /usr/lib. That indicates that we've edited this file (using vi..) at some point in the xorg-development cycle.
Last edited by prfaasse on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In case of panic: scream and run in circles!

axxium
Administrator
Administrator

Post by axxium » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:45 pm

john wrote:axxium,

Thanks for your help but it is still a no good.  I have tried on the first two mirrors listed and get the same results.  I am doing all of this from init 3.  If I enter netpkg xorg I don't get the xorg pkg but font pkg trying to install/reinstall/skip.  they are xorg-fonts-100dpi-7.2-noarch-44.1.tgz and then it gives the same for the 75dpi, etc.  There is no new xorg shown.  This was why I tried to enter netpkg xorg-7.3-i486-50.1.tgz.  And now if I try netpkg xorg-7.3-i486-50.2.tgz I receive that there is no such package.  Netpkg xorg only brings up the fonts pkg and nothing else.  When I go back to the gui and try netpkg all I can find is 7.2.

Is there someplace else that I am not looking?  I have tried http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 86/current and http://zen-repo.meticul.eu/i486/current.

Thanks for your help.

john

You are updating on the "current" servers. Xorg-7.3 is on the "snapshot" servers where development happens at a rapid pace and things get updated daily. Are you familiar with using the snapshot servers?

Michael

axxium
Administrator
Administrator

Post by axxium » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:15 pm

prfaasse wrote:A bit late to start reporting bugs, i know. But: when building 'kaffeine-0.8.5', i get an error that seems related to the mesa package:

libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[5]: *** [libkaffeinepart.la] Error 1

I have this: mesa-7.0.2-i486-50.3 mesa package installed.

[edit] just to be sure that i did not have any outdated mesa package around, i 'upgraded' to the snapshot 50.1 build of mesa: still the same problem. One 'curious thing: i have a libGL.la~ file in my /usr/lib. That indicates that we've edited this file (using vi..) at some point in the xorg-development cycle.

I'm on it.

prfaasse
Zenwalk Packager
Zenwalk Packager

Post by prfaasse » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:18 pm

ref: http://support.zenwalk.org/http://suppo ... 613#p69613

I re-did the copy to the file /usr/lib/libGL.la, and i'm now running the build of kaffeine again... It seems ok now..

[edit] the kaffeine build finished ok now. Playing 'Jean de Florette' with the new kaffeine.

[edit2] after a bit of hacking with this /usr/lib/libGL.la we did find out that both libGL.la & libGLU.la need some small modifications to make them work right. I would not be surprised to see a new 'mesa' package one of these days.
Last edited by prfaasse on Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
In case of panic: scream and run in circles!

axxium
Administrator
Administrator

Post by axxium » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:21 pm

prfaasse wrote:ref: http://support.zenwalk.org/http://suppo ... 613#p69613

I re-did the copy to the file /usr/lib/libGL.la, and i'm now running the build of kaffeine again... It seems ok now..

Yeah, I just remembered why you had a libGL.la~ and no one else did.  ;D

Michael

john
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Post by john » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:48 am

axxium,

After reading your post I checked netpkg mirrors and there are no snapshot mirrors listed.  I guess it is another step I have taken.  Is this something that I need?  Or should I stay with the current.  I am happy with what I have, just thought I should keep it up to date.  I am willing to wait until it settles and hits the current repo.

Thanks again for your help,

john

fushark

Post by fushark » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:59 am

john wrote:...
After reading your post I checked netpkg mirrors and there are no snapshot mirrors listed.

If you are using xnetpkg (netpkg from XFCE menu), Click mirror --> Browse and click on Add Mirror.  Look at the list of current mirror.  Any of them that looks like ...../i486/current, you can bet they have the snapshot as well.  So, add any locations you want and replace the current with snapshot.

If you are doing this from CLI, as root, open up /etc/netpkg.conf and find Internet_Mirror part.  You can add more below the last one listed there.
If you make the time for it, you can do it.
My Asus M3N spec