Zenwalk Live 5.0 is ready

Official news from the Zenwalk crew
BandiPat
Community Packager
Community Packager

Re: Zenwalk Live 5.0 is ready

Post by BandiPat » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Ok, I can confirm the 4.8 gparted works better than 5.0. I managed to play with the 5.0 a bit yesterday to finally get it to do the things I needed, but 4.8 worked much easier. After again getting the drive partitioned and formatted, I did another 5.0 LiveCD install. I followed the instructions and everything went well. Booted the computer, played with WICD until it locked up the computer. A reboot again stopped at the loading Zen bios screen.

I will try lilofix again as you mentioned and report back.

thanks,
BandiPat

BandiPat
Community Packager
Community Packager

Post by BandiPat » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:55 am

Ok, akuna, hold on to your hat, I've got some testing news, you might want to consider! ;D

Let's see, where to start. Ok, the lilofix does not seem to be working reliably, as no matter how many times you use it, after a couple of reboots, it fails. Now I'm wondering if this is the fault of lilofix or the way it is creating the lilo.conf? It seems to be non-standard wording and if you use just lilo -v on it, it will surely fail the way it's written. (eg: /boot/sdax/vmlinuz) Where normally it should just be /boot/vmlinuz to work correctly. Changing lilo.conf to follow standard syntax then running lilo -v corrects the problem and stops the failures.

Next thing! Why is a "kernelive" used instead of the regular "kernel"? Again, this proves to be a problem should you need to update, because of course there is no kernelive available on the mirrors ever! Replacing this kernelive with the standard kernel from the mirrors and again running a corrected lilo.conf + lilo -v makes things right or else you'll have to run lilofix again for the new kernel. I suppose if you wanted to use this kernelive as a backup kernel, it would be possible since installing kernel wouldn't overwrite things.

I've also noticed some of JP's programming seems to be making it into these programs like his netpkg. Not blaming JP, as I don't know who is doing the Zeninstaller or lilofix, etc., just comparing. The lonely icons without a description bubble or label to describe it's function. I think even just a text button would work better. The instructions say to press a certain function, but who is to know what button that is? Very cryptic and unnecessary, I think, as you can just make them text buttons instead. There are no explanations in the help file or manual instructions, so even that would help. A snapshot of the interface with labels of everything?

Those are the two biggies I've found thus far, as I believe I've finally figured out gparted. I think it's just changed enough that operations done with the 4.8 version LiveCD, don't work with the new 5.0 gparted. I am still experiencing problems later after installing KDE on some setups with using both 5.0 install and 5.0 LiveCD. Peter & I are working on this now to see if we can run down the bug. We first thought it was entirely KDE, but as we test, we aren't certain that is the case now. Hopefully this one won't completely elude us, but it's being difficult for sure! :-\

That's all I can think of at the moment, but if I remember anything else, I'll alert you. Maybe Peter will add more later, as we've been testing most of the day. D!!

thanks,
BandiPat

Divilinux
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Post by Divilinux » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:00 pm

I can confirm .. the fix now works!
:-\