Problem with grub2 and xorg

Official news from the Zenwalk crew
oliverjames
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Problem with grub2 and xorg

Post by oliverjames » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:28 am

Hello,
I installed this new 6.2 beta on an old Asus barebones machine, P4 with ATI/Radeon 9100 video card. 1Gb ram.

The installer came up under compatibility mode but after install the Boot precess hands for a couple of minutes before "loading grub" displayed, then a further couple ofminutes before displaying the boot options.

Booting into ZW brings up the xorg config window. That's as far as I get. Attempts to test the settings cause the system to freeze requiring forced reboot.

Oliverjames

BandiPat
Community Packager
Community Packager

Re: Problem with grub2 and xorg

Post by BandiPat » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:00 pm

My first thoughts are it's trying to find a suitable framebuffer on the video card and can't. That card should have a framebuffer though, I think. I have a older 9200 card, which works well. So the install is trying to finish up by configuring the xorg, but freezes during that process? Or are you trying to redo the video? Have you tried installing again? I'm also wondering about the BIOS settings on the ASUS, as that manufacturer has been a long time unfriendly towards Linux.

oliverjames
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Re: Problem with grub2 and xorg

Post by oliverjames » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi BrandiPat,

The machine is indeed not Linux friendly, It also hangs similarly with Lilo after ZW6 install, and was no better vis à vis the video setup.

A Puppy live CD worked fine though.

Oliverjames.