Zenwalk 6.2 has been released !

Official news from the Zenwalk crew
HER0_01
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Re: Zenwalk 6.2 has been released !

Post by HER0_01 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:24 am

litvinovandrew wrote:When will be Zenwalk Gnome 6.2?

There won't be a Zenwalk Gnome 6.2 unless somebody picks up the project. You can install standard 6.2 and then install gnome through netpkg, along with any different applications that zen gnome may have had. If you uninstall xfce, it is nearly the same as if you installed gnome from the start
PC's specs:
Dual core Celeron CPU
4gb DDR2 RAM
XFX GeForce GT 240 GPU

franco
Master Zenwalker
Master Zenwalker

Post by franco » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:29 am

Everything works good, install lilo over my grub whithout problem, install lilo-fix from zen 6, wicd new version has solved my problem, I found that the icon problem whit Iceweasel depends about my use whit
Clarity. No Intel graphic problem.
I feel a lucky man and thank to all you again.

sandal
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Post by sandal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:02 pm

Man, I really need a new machine to try this release of Zenwalk.
Not a brand new one, a new secondhand machine will great for me :D

z2501
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Post by z2501 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:20 am

I have been experiencing problems when I try to watch DVDs because there is problem with one of the plugins. Has this problem being solved in this new release???

thanks! I am happy to see 6.2 finally available. Great job!!!

garrett18
Zenwalker
Zenwalker

Post by garrett18 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:22 am

HER0_01 wrote:
litvinovandrew wrote:When will be Zenwalk Gnome 6.2?

There won't be a Zenwalk Gnome 6.2 unless somebody picks up the project. You can install standard 6.2 and then install gnome through netpkg, along with any different applications that zen gnome may have had. If you uninstall xfce, it is nearly the same as if you installed gnome from the start

Hi, what are the requirements for maintain projects?
Currently i'm repo maintainer of scentlinux, i do some packages for Archlinux (AUR) and i have a PPA for Ubuntu...if you need help i can learn "how to package for zenwalk" ...

you can send me a mail, i'll be happy to help zenwalk-gnome ;D

cramur
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Post by cramur » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:43 pm

Fine. This is the third time in a row the system is unable to work as used to after update (why should I reinstall the whole system? I just wanted to upgrade it. Due to politics of removing old packages there is no way for me to rollback now)
Enough for me. That was a fine 2 and a half years, but now even X won't start...
Just have fun over there :) Looks like it's a Call of Cosmos for me to look for another distro.

Anyway, thanks all the contributors for the titanical job being made. If not the option of reinstall, I'm sure would stick to Zenwalk.

Emurikku
Community Packager
Community Packager

Post by Emurikku » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi,

we had to change the X.org packages to Slackware's ones. That makes a lot of new packages to install.
In my opinion, the version number brought too much confusion, and made people thought it could be simply updated, which is wrong.
Anyway, have fun with your next distro. :)
Emurikku

RogerWilco
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Post by RogerWilco » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:40 am

cramur wrote:Fine. This is the third time in a row the system is unable to work as used to after update (why should I reinstall the whole system? I just wanted to upgrade it. Due to politics of removing old packages there is no way for me to rollback now)
Enough for me. That was a fine 2 and a half years, but now even X won't start...

It's not straightforward to upgrade the new X. What I did was to stick in the 6.0 CD, cd to zenwalk/x and removepkg *.t?z then change the CD to the 6.2 cd to the same directory and installpkg *.t?z * and (here's a catch) installpkg ../l/fontconfig*.t?z (for some reason it's not under x anymore)

If you have an older intel chip (say 8xx) you need to change in xorg.conf "Driver" "i810" to "Driver" "intel" BUT the intel driver included is broken, so either use the vesa driver or search, d/l and install the xf86-intel-legacy driver and use "intel"

* of course you can prune the zillion drivers you don't need

rene
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Post by rene » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:35 am

Note that DRI is broken on the intel-legacy driver as well (for 865G at least) so in fact, really might as well just use the vesa driver. It's a bit slower but hey, X.org on older Intel is simply broken beyond repair at the moment (and has been for some time).

hc.e
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Post by hc.e » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:57 am

I think in the change the X.org packages should be mentioned in the HowTo.

http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title ... 6.0_to_6.2

Dexin
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Post by Dexin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:56 am

rene wrote:Note that DRI is broken on the intel-legacy driver as well (for 865G at least) so in fact, really might as well just use the vesa driver. It's a bit slower but hey, X.org on older Intel is simply broken beyond repair at the moment (and has been for some time).

funny, but from xexproto-7.1.1 there is no shmstr.h included, which is required for compiling intel-2.8.1 driver , but in 7.0.5 that file is still have place.
I personaly have no thoooughts about al of this :<

Sigg3.net
Senior Zenwalker
Senior Zenwalker

Post by Sigg3.net » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:41 am

Congratulations on 6.2 to everyone!

I've been waiting especially for this release because it solves some serious errors on my hardware (kernel IO vs chip and xfce related mostly). My box has been standing idle since the middle of the 6.0 period, but now I hope I can be an active ZW user again!

Downloading the new release as we speak, and preparing to back up the broken system. Thanks again !
ThinkZen member #012
My Lenovo ThinkPad T61: Thrasymach.us

patostevens
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Post by patostevens » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Hey Gang - had great luck with 6. Having strange luck with 6.2 A number of problems keep coming up, none of them consistently. Any chance of getting a guide on how to upgrade? The wiki still says not to use the instructions that it lists.
Thanks.

Guitar John
Zenwalker
Zenwalker

Post by Guitar John » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:56 pm

First of all, greetings. First post here on ZW forums. I use the same screen name on the Ubuntu forum and the Puppy Linux forum.

I'm going to give this distro a try. I've been using Ubuntu since 2006, so I'm not entirely new to Linux. Ubuntu (and even Xubuntu) has become increasingly heavy over the years. There are a number of things that I've read about ZW that look appealing to me.

Cheers,
John
I asked the Lord for patience and He led me to Linux
Linux User #470874