Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Official news from the Zenwalk crew
stillborn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by stillborn » Fri May 21, 2010 4:55 pm

that zenwalk is strictly intended for UNIX professionals, not ordinary people,

sorry, that is so not true, Zenwalk helped me "ordinary" man to get started with linux and it was the easiest ride to get along with.

:-*

cfuttrup
Promo Team
Promo Team

Post by cfuttrup » Fri May 21, 2010 6:18 pm

hyperion wrote:btw : RC2 release delayed because of the upcoming XFCE 4.6.2, a few more days to wait, sorry :)

Hi aburkon - congratulation :)

BTW, 3 days ago I became a grandfather ... I'm 38 years old. It is Nancy, who has a daughter from 22 years ago, who just gave birth.

Best regards,
Claus

cfuttrup
Promo Team
Promo Team

Post by cfuttrup » Fri May 21, 2010 6:30 pm

caieng wrote:That's fine, as I wrote a couple days ago, simply, please let other clumsy, inept, ignorant fools know, by rewriting your blurb at Distrowatch.com, that zenwalk is strictly intended for UNIX professionals, not ordinary people, armed with nothing more than a phillips screwdriver and a sense of humor.

... This thread is off track. Anyway:

CAI ENG

Please moderate yourself a bit. First of all, I started using Zenwalk about 5 years ago without any knowledge at all about Linux and I chose Zenwalk because it was easy to get started and educational to continue with it. A perfect balance between "in the air quickly" and still "tinkering for my personal taste" ... CAI ENG, there are so many examples of people who came by the Zenwalk project and were pleased with what they have seen.

I even wrote a couple of articles around on the Web (just search for Zenwalk to find these old articles) and "papers" on our website ... for noobs to understand the steps into Linux land. I don't know where you're coming from, but consider reading this, please:

Welcome.

Best regards,
Claus

cfuttrup
Promo Team
Promo Team

Post by cfuttrup » Fri May 21, 2010 7:10 pm

aburkon wrote:Don't worry, I'm patient because in Dezember we will have a baby... :)

Hi Aburkon - congratulations !

(Sorry for the previous mail - wrong quote :) )

/Claus

P.S. Re previous quote regarding RC2 ... good to hear it is near :) ... can I upgrade from RC1 to RC2 with snapshot update, or do I need to reinstall from CD?

aburkon
Senior Zenwalker
Senior Zenwalker

Post by aburkon » Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi Claus, thanks! :)
(I'm 45+ years old and he OR she will be my first baby, but the second of my girlfriend.)

hyperion
Administrator
Administrator

Post by hyperion » Fri May 21, 2010 10:49 pm

can I upgrade from RC1 to RC2 with snapshot update, or do I need to reinstall from CD?

You can upgrade with netpkg, there are few changes between RC1 and RC2

JP

gabe
Zenwalker
Zenwalker

Post by gabe » Sat May 22, 2010 11:15 pm

hyperion wrote:
User is stuck with 800 x 600. (and of course, yup, same is true for Zenwalk!! haha.) Good luck user, clicking on the "configure system" controls!! haha. 800 x 600 is the BEST resolution.....

This is FUD : any PCs with wide screens that I have setup with Zenwalk lately get perfect 1:9 or 16:10 resolution out of the box.

JP

Problems with too low monitor resolution (mostly in CRT monitors) in auto-mode (for example: Linux Live-CD) is caused mainly by the same monitor with VGA (analogue) connector.

Native monitor screen resolution is detected by the graphics card by automatic reading the status of a pin VGA connector (unfortunately I do not remember which pin it is).

Personally, I use "1152*864" resolution in one of my PC with CRT screen, this resolution is described by monitor manufacturer as possible to display and works great. But... this CRT monitor has a native resolution determined and recommended by the manufacturer as "1024*768", so any Linux distribution automatically sets me this "1024*768". Confusing? A little.

Without the prop to the original drivers from the Nvidia, the "1152*864" resolution set I'll getting by a very short "xorg.conf" file which defines the resolution setting may be available, and which of them will be selected in auto mode (I don't have to do this on my second, "Scientific Linux" /RHEL based/ installation, it has more resolution settings enabled by "out of the box").

Please note, that "xorg.conf" file content shown below is for Nvidia card and for Polish (pl) keyboard layout.
Video card is Nvidia Ge Force 440 MX AGP X8

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "pl"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection

I hope, that will clearly show why sometimes, some things look different on different hardware.

Cheers!

cfuttrup
Promo Team
Promo Team

Post by cfuttrup » Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 pm

hyperion wrote:
can I upgrade from RC1 to RC2 with snapshot update, or do I need to reinstall from CD?

You can upgrade with netpkg, there are few changes between RC1 and RC2

JP, will I be able to do it with snapshot repository? ... I see that the changelog hasn't changed since the 19th so I assume ... nothing there yet.

/Claus

franco
Master Zenwalker
Master Zenwalker

Post by franco » Mon May 24, 2010 6:48 pm

changelog hasn't changed since the 19th
but xfce 4.6.2 is already in the server.