Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Official news from the Zenwalk crew
chik3n
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by chik3n » Thu May 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I have to give Caieng some credit because he does have a point. There is still some "fiddling with the system" involved after the installation part. And VLC is a really good player no doubt. First thing to install on a windows!

my 2 cents,

cheers chik3n

ps. @hyperion: do requests for customized iso go directly to your mailbox ? ;)
. : ( dell xps m1210 : zenwalk 6.4 | big tower : zenwalk 6.4 | intel atom homeserver : zenwalk 6.4 ) : .

User avatar
hyperion
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2703
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:52 am
Location: Nantes - France
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by hyperion » Thu May 20, 2010 9:44 pm

I wouldn't call it FUD.
Doesn't it depend also from the graphic card used?


Of course it does, that's just the reason why I disagree with a generalization based on only 1 case.

JP

til

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by til » Thu May 20, 2010 9:48 pm

Of course it does, that's just the reason why I disagree with a generalization based on only 1 case.
Well, he tested many distro's on which he based his comment.

User avatar
hyperion
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2703
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:52 am
Location: Nantes - France
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by hyperion » Thu May 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Well, he tested many distro's on which he based his comment.


So I don't trust it :) I installed Zenwalk on many PCs, both old and modern, and never got resolution problems

And if problems were real, it has nothing to do with GDM/KDM, rather Xorg configuration.

JP

til

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by til » Thu May 20, 2010 10:00 pm

And if problems were real, it has nothing to do with GDM/KDM, rather Xorg configuration.
True! Though, the first thing users see is GDM/KDM ;)
And I had more than one case where xfce didn't allow more than 800x600 when in fact 1200x1024 were possible.

caieng
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by caieng » Fri May 21, 2010 2:21 am

Hyperion wrote:I installed Zenwalk on many PCs, both old and modern, and never got resolution problems....
And, I will bet you a wooden nickel that you have ridden the Boston MTA many, many times, and never once been late.
But, I rode it, in the old days, and I did observe some mechanical breakdowns, leading to some unfortunate delays.

I have three test computers. One uses Nvidea, one Trident, one Savage 4.

The problem is not with the graphics controllers, it is with the monitors. If I hook up a relatively new (three years old) traditional 17inch color monitor, not a modern flat screen television that also permits connection via the older D-sub 15 VGA connector, then, I achieve perfect resolution, 1280 x 1024, 24 bit color, @60 Hz for linux, or 75Hz, 32 bit color with XP, and upon disconnecting that monitor and reconnecting to the flat screen high definition tv, the resolution remains the same, however, upon rebooting ZenWalk, with that flat screen television, the resolution returns to 800 x 600, and there is no option for the user to select the more usable 1024 x 768, let alone, the superior 1280 x 1024.

Same results on all three computers.
Hyperion wrote:Please build a VLC package for Zenwalk , And I promiss I will build a Caiwalk version of the ISO just for you to save the time needed to query the repository for VLC...
Sorry, I haven't the slightest idea how to go about building a package for anything. If I knew, I wouldn't be harassing you!

cheers,
CAI ENG

User avatar
antman
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:03 am
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by antman » Fri May 21, 2010 4:07 am

@caieng

Actually, I agree with your thoughts that a linux distro (and I would extend it to ALL pc operating systems, not just linux) should have a full blown, out of the box version that supports most (if not all) of the popular multimedia formats. And of course, there should also be manual versions for the 'tinkers' that like to tweak their systems.

One of the biggest hurdles it would seem, are software patents. Even a popular distro like Ubuntu, backed by a multi-millionare, does not include multimedia codecs on its' default install.
Small community distros like Linux Mint include them, but I wonder how long they can provide such a service before the patent police come knocking?!? Luckily there is a version of Mint that doesn't include such codecs and such, but I'm sure that version is no where near as popular as the feature complete version.

I'm not a USA patent law expert, so I wonder if an application like VLC is stomping on any patents that would make a USA based distro less likely to include it in its' base install?!?

Ant
Last edited by antman on Fri May 21, 2010 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Emurikku
Community Packager
Community Packager
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by Emurikku » Fri May 21, 2010 7:23 am

Err, just to clarify something: as far as I understood, Zenwalk is not a distribution, but an OS, that is thought to be standalone. Choices are made, and they might not satisfy everyone, but thankfully, it's customizable. Extra is meant as a way of customizing it the way the user would like it, by installing VLC, for example. That's why JP doesn't really take care, and lets us, the users and packagers, do the job, although he can tell us a package doesn't work if he uses it. Zenwalk is just a base.

So I think VLC in the ISO would just not be logical. But its absence from it doesn't make it a bad player at all (sometimes this is the impression people give me when they complain about the absence of one application, like they felt insulted). So take your netpkg, click and install...

Please build a VLC package for Zenwalk , And I promiss I will build a Caiwalk version of the ISO just for you to save the time needed to query the repository for VLC...


I like your irony! ;D
Emurikku

User avatar
hyperion
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2703
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:52 am
Location: Nantes - France
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by hyperion » Fri May 21, 2010 7:31 am

VLC is better than me !!

User avatar
Emurikku
Community Packager
Community Packager
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by Emurikku » Fri May 21, 2010 7:35 am

hyperion wrote:VLC is better than me !!


O NOES! H!!! H!!! H!!!
Emurikku

mhertz
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by mhertz » Fri May 21, 2010 8:56 am

caieng wrote:yes, antman, VLC ought to be included in ANY modern distro, for the same reason that any automobile at a rental shop ought to include automatic transmission.

What ought to be included in any distro, is what the distro/OS maker deems appropriate for his choosen design! If you cannot find any distro/OS that suits you, then you can use a "base-only" distro like Zenwalk Core or Arch Linux and install/configure it after your own design rules. As i stated previously, then one of the design rules of Zenwalk is that only GTK apps are included, so your point is moot!
I tried with "netpkg", what, you mean that your average bloke off the street is going to know that one should click on netpkg? Hopelessly inept software design

If someone dosen't understand that a package manager needs to be loaded for a package to be installed, then I don't think that Zenwalk is for them. There's enough dumbed-down distro's out there, and I would hate Zenwalk to fall into that trap also.

Second, xnetpkg, I agree, takes some time getting used to, but after that learning period, then I would defenetelly say that the new design, has the usability aspect perfectly implemented! Many ppl dosen't really understand how powerfull that ultra-simple app really is, e.g. with it's backwards dependency-tracking features etc. The only reason for many being intimidated with it, is IMHO that some ppl have a problem with RTFM! I still prefer to use the CLI netpkg, though, but that's just me, and defenettelly not because the GUI is bad in any way!
/* Moved to Arch Linux - Thanks for a nice stay all! */

User avatar
franco
Master Zenwalker
Master Zenwalker
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by franco » Fri May 21, 2010 9:31 am


User avatar
hyperion
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2703
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:52 am
Location: Nantes - France
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by hyperion » Fri May 21, 2010 9:59 am

Second, xnetpkg, I agree, takes some time getting used to, but after that learning period, then I would defenetelly say that the new design, has the usability aspect perfectly implemented! Many ppl dosen't really understand how powerfull that ultra-simple app really is, e.g. with it's backwards dependency-tracking features etc. The only reason for many being intimidated with it, is IMHO that some ppl have a problem with RTFM! I still prefer to use the CLI netpkg, though, but that's just me, and defenettelly not because the GUI is bad in any way!


A bit early for my birthday , yet a beautiful day for me :)

JP

caieng
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by caieng » Fri May 21, 2010 11:44 am

franco wrote:http://slackware.org.uk/people/alien/restricted_slackbuilds/vlc/pkg/13.0/
install and enjoy

I just want to clarify, before spending a couple of hours here, trying out alienbob's thingamabob, that upon finishing this process (and if the process involves more than one mouse click, then it will not be a two hour deal, but more typically a whole day, in my experience with wretched UNIX gibberish, passwords, privileges, accounts, jargon and so on....), THEN, I will be able to click on one of those three icons,
OGG
mp3
aacPlus
and hear music.....Is that correct?

Or, in the alternative, does your terse message imply that "install and enjoy" should really be written:
"install and configure", where "configure" involves another couple of exasperating hours trying to figure out what zenwalkers' are thinking, because it certainly isn't obvious.

From Hyperion's last few comments, I think the correct answer is, NO to the first and YES to the alternative.

That's fine, as I wrote a couple days ago, simply, please let other clumsy, inept, ignorant fools know, by rewriting your blurb at Distrowatch.com, that zenwalk is strictly intended for UNIX professionals, not ordinary people, armed with nothing more than a phillips screwdriver and a sense of humor. It most certainly is NOT a distro intended for those planning to install a multimedia capable operating system. Zenwalk may well be suited for those who wish to DESIGN AND CONSTRUCT a multimedia capable operating system. Zenwalk is more like Home Depot, not a house, already constructed, awaiting occupancy.

CAI ENG

User avatar
hyperion
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2703
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:52 am
Location: Nantes - France
Contact:

Re: Zenwalk 6.4 BETA is ready for testing !

Post by hyperion » Fri May 21, 2010 11:48 am

that zenwalk is strictly intended for UNIX professionals, not ordinary people,


This is real dirty FUD

:)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests