Re: Do you want to take the red pill ?

Official news from the Zenwalk crew
Fox
Regular Zenwalker
Regular Zenwalker

Post by Fox » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:08 pm

Thank you for the information, mhsc. I shall try to watch for system configuration. Maybe Slackware's install script will help me. Anyway, I don't think that the configuration is somehow going beyond config files, and as long as I have a working system on another partition, I can always refer to its configs.

MartinF
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Post by MartinF » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi!

I followed the wiki. No problem at all. It only took  3 hours. I believe this time could be shortened some way if you blacklist some xap and ap packages, that you could netpkg later.

So far, so good...

Thanks a lot for this great distro.

axxium
Administrator
Administrator

Post by axxium » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:24 pm

Hi,

I am continuing to test the wiki routine as updates are added to the repo. To date these packages are being missed by the command "netpkg upgrade". This is expected because the packages were once Zenwalk packages but were replaced by Slackware ones.

Packages missed by upgrade: alsa-oss espgs libidl libieee1284 libpng libtheora libtool libusb libvorbis libxml2 libxslt pcmciautils most sysfsutils tar usbutils

Netpkg incorrectly labels them as downgrades. Please be sure to update the old Zenwalk packages to these Slackware ones found in the snapshot repository.

I will be adding this information to the wiki updrade guide and try to clean up the guide a bit very soon.

:)

Michael
Stumbled across Zenwalk one day, life has never been the same. :-)

zenwalkuser
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zenwalkuser » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:52 am

@Axxium

a

Code: Select all

netpkg list D

will show which packages need to be re-installed after the upgrade.

I also want to add a quick note, that some packages e.g. fbpanel and libsidplay needs to be installed additionally (if you want to get a 99% identical snapshot installation) since those where not part of ZW 4.4.1 and therefore will be skipped in the upgrade.
This should be mentioned in the wiki as well.

@cfttrup
Thank you for the explaination
Last edited by zenwalkuser on Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zenwalk current
Core2 Duo 2.80 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 9400GT, HD audio, 10/100/1000 NIC onBoard, 1 TB HDD, 2x DVD-Burner
Zenwalk snapshot
P4 3.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, GeForce 7600GS, 16 bit sound, 10/100 NIC onBoard, 2x 80 GB HDD, DVD-Burner, DVD-ROM

tommcd
Experienced Zenwalker
Experienced Zenwalker

Post by tommcd » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:58 am

So, for those of us less adventurous zen users, 2 questions:
1) When (approximately) will all this new and exciting stuff move to current?
2) When the next upgrade of zenwalk moves to current, will it be safe and recommended, to upgrade via 'netpkg upgrade' or will a clean install be in order?

hyperion
Administrator
Administrator

Post by hyperion » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:03 am

will it be safe and recommended, to upgrade via 'netpkg upgrade'

This is what we are trying to clear out here :)

JP
A gentleman is someone who can code java, but doesn't..

zenwalkuser
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zenwalkuser » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:18 pm

tommcd wrote:2) When the next upgrade of zenwalk moves to current, will it be safe and recommended, to upgrade via 'netpkg upgrade' or will a clean install be in order?

From my personal experience I would say, if you follow the steps in the wiki carefully, the upgrade should be no problem at all. However if you just perform an netpkg upgrade without take a look in the changelog and/or wiki first, then it may break things on your system.

Since the upgrade from current to snapshot went smooth, this should be considered as working the same, when upgrading from 4.4.1 after snapshot has moved to current.

Regarding your question no. 1 I would say: "When it's done!"  :P Am I right, JP?  ;)
Anyway, as JP announced, snapshot is already considered to be reliable so I guess it doesn't takes long until we can expect getting the snapshot content moved to current. But take your time guys, quality over quantity.
Zenwalk current
Core2 Duo 2.80 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 9400GT, HD audio, 10/100/1000 NIC onBoard, 1 TB HDD, 2x DVD-Burner
Zenwalk snapshot
P4 3.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, GeForce 7600GS, 16 bit sound, 10/100 NIC onBoard, 2x 80 GB HDD, DVD-Burner, DVD-ROM

hyperion
Administrator
Administrator

Post by hyperion » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:05 pm

I think that the best solution would be :

Step 1 : move glibc, gcc, readline, coreutils, and cxxlibs to current
Step 2 : wait 1 week
Step 3: move the entire snapshot and post another thread about the migration here.

Opinions ?

JP

axxium
Administrator
Administrator

Post by axxium » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:31 pm

hyperion wrote:I think that the best solution would be :

Step 1 : move glibc, gcc, readline, coreutils, and cxxlibs to current
Step 2 : wait 1 week
Step 3: move the entire snapshot and post another thread about the migration here.

Opinions ?

JP

Hi,

I think one problem to consider would be that when new or unexperienced users installs Zenwalk-4.4.1, then proceeds to update to current (after snapshot becomes current) his system will get trashed and he will leave Zenwalk as fast as he came here. I really think keeping "current" compatible with "latest" and providing an upgrade guide is best (as we are already doing).

I have experienced losing my root password on one upgrade to snapshot so far and I've made a mental note to add a fix for this in the wiki entry.

This is a new experience for Zenwalk, so let's continue to be cautious. My plan is to keep editing the wiki entry daily to match with the "snapshot" changelog.

:)

Michael

zenwalkuser
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zenwalkuser » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:46 pm

axxium wrote:
I think one problem to consider would be that when new or unexperienced users installs Zenwalk-4.4.1, then proceeds to update to current (after snapshot becomes current) his system will get trashed and he will leave Zenwalk as fast as he came here. I really think keeping "current" compatible with "latest" and providing an upgrade guide is best (as we are already doing).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is, that when snapshot is moved to current, the new ZW ISO is already released so content from current goes to 4.4.1 and will no longer official supported, thus the new Users would rather perform a fresh install using the NEW ISO for ZW 4.6 and then just upgrade to current (which has already the content from snapshot).

So as soon as ZW 4.6 is release the content from snapshot goes to current, and snapshot will be filled with new content for upcoming ZW 4.x (or maybe 5.0?), is this the correct understanding?
If yes, I see your concern we need to be carefully but anyway current will be holding the content to the most actual stable Release which is ZW 4.6 then. So my suggestion is: First move glibc, gcc, readline, coreutils, and cxxlibs to current, like JP suggested, then next a couple days later bring out the new ISO edition of ZW 4.6 and at the same time move the content from snapshot to current.
Zenwalk current
Zenwalk snapshot

hyperion
Administrator
Administrator

Post by hyperion » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:48 pm

So as soon as ZW 4.6 is release the content from snapshot goes to current, and snapshot will be filled with new content for upcoming ZW 4.x (or maybe 5.0?), is this the correct understanding?

Yes

If yes, I see your concern we need to be carefully but anyway current will be holding the content to the most actual stable Release which is ZW 4.6 then. So my suggestion is: First move glibc, gcc, readline, coreutils, and cxxlibs to current, like JP suggested, then next a couple days later bring out the new ISO edition of ZW 4.6 and at the same time move the content from snapshot to current.

And yes :)

Thanks

JP

zenwalkuser
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zenwalkuser » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:59 pm

Edit: I forgot to mention that the tightvnc package in snapshot is not working. It seems that tightvnc is not compiling well against xorg 7.2, guth is working on it but if ZW 4.6 is released before he succeed compiling tightvnc against new xorg 7.2 we also need to mention in the wiki, that tightvnc should be removed after the upgrade. I already sent a PM to guth and he thinks that tightvnc will go to extra once it's compiling under snapshot and ZW 4.6 is released whithout tightvnc on the ISO.
I think this decision is up to JP. But anyway the issue about tightvnc should be mentioned in the wiki as well.
Zenwalk current
Zenwalk snapshot

hyperion
Administrator
Administrator

Post by hyperion » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:18 pm

Tightvnc is already removed from the ISO (here). It will go to extra as soon as it builds succesfully.

JP

axxium
Administrator
Administrator

Post by axxium » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:24 pm

zenwalkuser wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is, that when snapshot is moved to current, the new ZW ISO is already released so content from current goes to 4.4.1 and will no longer official supported, thus the new Users would rather perform a fresh install using the NEW ISO for ZW 4.6 and then just upgrade to current (which has already the content from snapshot).

Yes, this is all true...but my present understanding is that we do not plan to release Zenwalk4.6 in the next two weeks so I humbly say that your point is irrelevant until that happens. To the best of my knowledge we are holding off the release until after the summer. I will have the updated upgrade guide up in about 10 mins from now and it should provide you with an easier to understand guide that is more accurate since I have tested it now on multiple machines at different points (zenwalk-4.4.1 and zenwalk current) moving to snapshot.

Now if we do plan to release Zenwalk-4.6 months ahead of schedule then just forget what I said.

Michael

zenwalkuser
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zenwalkuser » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:33 pm

hyperion wrote:Tightvnc is already removed from the ISO (here). It will go to extra as soon as it builds succesfully.

JP

Then the broken tightvnc package should be removed from snapshot repo as well, so far I see no removal of tightvnc in the changelog...

BTW: Where did Michael got the information from that ZW 4.6 is released after the summer? I also would like to get such informations, but I missed the announcement in the ML, or is there another source to get such kind of infos?
Last edited by zenwalkuser on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenwalk current
Zenwalk snapshot